Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:17:11 PM
586 Posts in 114 Topics by 20184 Members
Latest Member: amannafrellax
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  New here and hoping for help/advice/info « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New here and hoping for help/advice/info  (Read 7139 times)
Laura

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »

Hi All:
I'm hoping for some guidance.  Seems nobody I read talks about what I've been suffering.  I was diagnosed with Hashi's, and tested negative for Grave's.  Dr. thought it was grave's because all of my symptoms were there.  I've been really sick for 9 months now.  It all started with anxiety, which I'd never suffered.  Got to the point where I was barely sleeping, my heart would race and pound for 10 - 12 hours a day, I was totally hyper, nervous, anxious, tense.  I guess I felt like I was overdosing on speed everyday.  I urinated frequently.  I would calm down by 8 pm then start all over by 4:30 am.  Dr. gave me beta blockers and that helped with the palps and anxiety.  Every morning my body wakes me up with what could be described as a jolt; I am hyper, nervous, anxious - sometimes for a couple of hours, sometimes all day.  I've gone through a couple of weeks of fatigue and depression in the last 9 months.  My blood pressure is almost always high.  Even on the meds.  EVERY morning I'm awakened, between 4:30 and 6 with a rush of energy, hyperactivity, nervousness, anxiety.  I bolt out of bed.  My mouth is dry, I'm shakey, and wide awake.  I never get more than 6 hours of sleep.  Sometimes my symptoms will wax and wane throughout the day.

Tested my adrenals with saliva test and they are good, praise God!  My TSH is 12.15, T3 107, FT4 .62, TPO Ab 275, RT3 184, estrogens and testosterone very low, Dhea 93.8, progesterone .9 (been on otc cream for 7mos).  Don't know if the labs mean anything to you.  I just know I'm miserable.  Thought they might give some insight?

I am gluten free since 12/10/10 with no change that I can tell.  Is it too soon?  I don't drink coffee anymore.  Eliminated refined sugars completely except maybe some hidden ones, and I watch closely.  I use stevia for green tea and demerara for organic, naturally decafed coffee that I indulge in infrequently.  I eat lots of seeds/nuts, lots of veggies, salmon, some red meat, chicken legs, salads.  I try to eat a healthy diet and snack through the day to help blood sugar regulation.  Occassionally indulge in gluten free organic chocolate chip cookies. 

One thing I noticed is the clue to feeling normal; I start to crave chocolate and coffee again and the other junk foods I loved so much like donuts. 

I still smoke cigarettes but am down to about 10 a day.  It is the hardest thing for me to give up.  And I thought the coffee would be the hardest!  lol

One doctor gave me a natural detox pill (chiro tested me and I was positive for heavy - metals) and thyroid tissue.  The day after I started it I got a pain in rib cage, under breast.  Within 3 hours I was in severe pain across chest, couldn't stand up straight, hurt to breathe, and blood pressure was 195/107.  No heart problems.  When my next doctor said he was going to start me on Armour, lowest dose, I remembered that and got scared so he said we'd wait for my latest blood tests to come back and start with the sex hormones as the low estrogen could be the cause of my severe symptoms too.  Still waiting. 

He did do the TH-1 and the TH-2  and the CD4/CD8 tests too so that's what we're waiting for, in addition to one more estrogens test.

I'm hoping somebody has some insight into what I've been experiencing in my symptoms.  Or any info.  I'm very discouraged to be 9 months into this with no treatment yet.  Any insight, suggestions, anything would be so appreciated.  I've spent lots of money to get nowhere so far.  And the more I read, sometimes the more confused I get.

Thank you for any help you can offer and God bless.
deb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:49:11 AM »

I have a friends whose symptoms are similar to those you're describing. In her case the diagnosis was PCOS. Have your doctors looked into this possibility?
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »

HI Laura,

What thyroid supplement are you on right now? Are you eating any foods that are known to stimulate the thyroid like coconut oil? It sounds like you've checked your diet with a fine tooth comb. Due to your symptoms, I certainly would stay away from all stimulants including decaf and chocolate until you figure this out.

Are you going to a functional medicine doctor? Maybe you should consider getting an opinion from my doctor who will do a consult over the phone after viewing your current test results. Maybe you need another opinion? My doctor looks at the whole system and it is possible you might be missing something. Here's his contact info....

http://www.drboydston.com/consulting.html

At the moment, you would only be out about $200 after sending him your whole history and current tests. He doesn't nickel and dime you so I am confident it might be worth getting another opinion. I highly recommend this step. Sometimes a "fresh" look from someone will spot something you and your doctors have been missing.

Take care and let us know how it goes. I hope you feel better soon. To me, the worst thing in the world is having a fast heart rate that doesn't calm down. This happened to me one time when I was consuming a lot of coconut oil and my body just couldn't handle it. It took me a while to find the culprit. So make sure you are counting EVERYTHING that is put in your mouth or on your body and even things you are breathing in your home! Sometimes we have to be the most incredible detectives to figure out where are symptoms are coming from. Sad

On a similar note, my doctor is now able to do some new blood testing that can pinpoint very specific food allergies that you might not even know you have that could be causing these symptoms.... the test is quite reasonable in comparison to the suffering that might be going on unchecked.

Mo Smiley
Laura

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:48:54 PM »

Response to Deb: I don't believe pcos is the problem.  I have cycles (20-25 days since I got really sick) but don't think I'm ovulating anymore.  Before being sick I was like clockwork - 28 days almost always, and always new when I was ovulating.  Thanks for the response and the idea though.  Never hurts.

Mo: Thank you for the encouragement and response.  I found a doctor in California who's trained by Dr. K, just like Boydston!  He says they meet at Dr. K's office monthly.  He offered free initial consultation.  AND, the dr. I'm seeing in my home town has an associate in his office who is reading the book and going for training come June.  I just saw her 2/7/10.  She put me on adrenacalm, oxicell, ther biotics, and adaptocrine, along with vit a, colostrum, vit d, and dha & epa.  I just spent $300 on all of this stuff for about 2 months worth.  Praise God He's blessed me with the money this month!!!! I checked with the Dr. in Cali who's looked at all of my labs thus far and he says this is the right course.  He thinks I am th2 dominant - thinks I have leaky gut, and thinks I'm on my way to diabetes.  I also am on gluten free, dairy free, chocolate free, coffee free, soy free, low glycemic diet.  I have part of the TH1 & 2 labs back and my th1 is rock bottom (Just after the test I got some 24 hr thing with diarrhea & fever, then herpes outbreak on lip, then on my bottom so that is part of why the levels were rock bottom)  CD4 & CD8 say I'm parasite free.  He wants a "hemoglobin a1c test for blood sugar over the last 90-120 days" - don't know how to do that yet.  Need to ask him.  I go to a clinic that deeply discounts lab costs so I'm able to do most of this.  It's so much work and time though cuz the people there are physician assistants and they don't know all these tests.  They didn't even have the th1 & th2 tests in their system.  After they ordered the wrong ones I spent 7 hours at the clinic waiting for them to find the numbers, get them in the system, and then fix my account.  I'm not complaining, just saying it isn't easy to accomplish this.

Some new info.  I have a severely low estrogen level (16 on day 1 of cycle!), low testosterone, and the progesterone is ok (probably because I have been using progest cream for 7 months).  He says I have to do a urine test to check how my body metabolizes estrogen then he's going to put me on some adaptogens for the estrogen problem. 

Treatment besides the above stuff - I just started taking Armour 30mg once a day.  I'l do this for 10 days and watch my symptoms and call in and they'll continue upping I guess. 

I just finished about 2 weeks of hell with increasing anxiety, then the heart beating through the beta blockers (that's the first time since I started them), 5 hours of sleep a night, waking at 4:30.  I've had the last 3 days as real good days and symptoms only bad in the first few hours of the day.

That's so funny you say to "watch everything you put in your mouth"!  It takes me hours at the grocery store now.  I spent about 1/2 hour trying to find any salad dressing and finally accepting that I would have to make my own with olive oil and vinegar and garlic!  I look at everything.  I mostly stick with fresh/frozen veggies, eggs in the morning, almonds, some cashews, sunflower seeds, grapes, canteloupe, beef, pinto & black beans, brown rice, salmon, tuna, salad, hummus, almond milk, water.  The Dr. in Cali ok'd my diet.  Said it sounded good.   

Down to 7 cigarettes a day!  I'm almost there.  Evenings are so hard. 

Thanks for listening.  Any other suggestions/encouragement are welcome. 

I'd really like to know what Dr. Boydston has been doing for you Mo.  What kind of tests has he been running?  Has he gone any further than the diet?  How long have you been under his care?  I'm very cautious now because of all the money I've paid to one dr who didn't know enough but thought he could handle my case.  I just found out the trip to the ER was because of the thyroid tissue he gave me being WAY TOO high; 130mg!  Thank God for the pain; if it had just been the blood pressure I may not have known it and died.  Anyway, I think comparing notes and cross checking with others is good and helps keep one safer. 

Thank you again.  Look forward to any other info you are willing to share.  Especially your treatment.

Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:55:36 PM »

Hi Laura,

I am leaving for the weekend and wish I had time to answer your post more completely. I will come back and add more next week.

Dr. Boydston is a very little bit different than Dr. K in that he likes to see the body "balance itself" more and goes for more supportive care. I prefer that to using too many products to help my body respond but who knows, down the road, I may need to get more aggressive and do just that!

I'm soooo happy you were able to find a Doctor you feel good about... I am so serious.... this is most of the battle. I have never felt good about a doctor until now. And for me, it's been like over 15 years!

Keep up the good work and so proud of you on your improvement to get those cigarettes out of your day too!

You'll get there - keep on keeping on....

Mo Smiley
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »

Hi Laura,

Will love to hear an update on you when you are done assessing your situation. I have leaky gut - I have been waiting until my husband and daughter have been tested for gluten and the other normal things before I decide if my kitchen will be all gluten free or just partly gluten free. I am a perfectionist (too much pressure on myself) therefore I tend to do nothing until I can do it perfect. No wonder I suffer so... LOL

Take care,

Mo Smiley
Laura

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »

Sorry so tardy in my response.  I've been soooo over busy Shocked

Not much has changed yet.  I just got the th2 side of the labs back - sent them to the dr. in California but haven't heard back yet.  I finally got the urine test done to test for metabolism of estrogen.  I have stayed the course on the diet I was given.  I sooooo miss having a cup of french vanilla coffee or a chocolate bar.  I've been feeling better for a few weeks now, thank God.  Don't know if it's just the cycle my body goes through or if all of the products and diet are helping.   I have started being awakened by my heart/blood pressure symptoms at 4:30 am again this week.  On the good side, about a week ago I had one night of 8 straight hours of sleep!!!  First time in about a year.  I'm still losing weight.  I'm down to 113 pounds.  I know, you all are envious and I'm not complaining but I hope I don't lose much more. 

Something very interesting has changed this month.  When my symptoms hit me like a rock back in June, '10 my menstrual cycle switched to 19-21 days.  A couple of times it went as long as 25 days.  I've been like clock work my whole life - even knew when I was ovulating.  This month I'm on day 28 with no period.  Hmmmm....now what? 

I'm still struggling with the cigarettes.  Have gone as low as 5 per day but that isn't good enough.  I hate that I'm so weak - but I love my cigarettes.  And I hate that reality!!!  I don't want to love cigarettes.  They are my "hug from a friend" when I break down and sob from a really hard week.  They're like a security blanket and I hate being an addict. 

Well, as soon as I find out something I'l let ya'll know.  I'm interested in your treatment and what Dr. Boydston has doing with you. 

God bless!  Laura
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »

Hi Laura,

Have you heard back from your doctor in California?

Just checking in.

Mo Smiley
Laura

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:04 PM »

HI Mo:
He said I'm th2 dominant and stay away from stuff on the list he sent me.  He had been very talkative with me up until recently.  I have been waiting for him to tell me when my "free consult" was over and how to proceed but he's said nothing.  He was communicating with me quickly and freely until now.  I'm not in a good place emotionally now and wish people would stop thinking I can read minds!  I'm crabby, tired of being sick, tired of waking up every day feeling like I'm going to jump out of my skin, tired of the anxiety my body makes me feel, tired of spending every penny I have on drs., products, food, etc.,   I still have more questions than answers and nobody seems to really know anything.  My half full glass just tipped over and spilled tonight  Cry 
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 05:30:02 PM »

Hi Laura,

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your CA doctor and lack of response from him.

When I think "free consult", I guess I would only expect one exchange but it sounds like he was giving you more? Did you like him? Maybe it would be worth calling his office and getting feedback from his staff to see what the free consult included and what the cost would be to continue.

If you still have a racing heart, it might not be the best to be on Armour as the T3 can speed that up more. I wonder if you are balancing too many doctors and feeling like a rubber band because of it! Smiley It sounds like you can benefit by having one good doctor and maybe settling in a bit? It can be stressful doing all you are doing test-wise and getting different doctor's opinions. I know my worst complaint until I found my current doctor was that I did not want to juggle doctors. It's too stressful. So now I am getting my thyroid meds from my natural doctor but doing all the supportive care and testing through Dr. Boydston. I really like this arrangement. It allows me to improve my situation without conflicting doctors with each other.

A racing heart rate itself can be a terrible anxiety trigger! Take out any foods that are known to increase heart rhythm... for me, it was coconut oil. Maybe try eating foods that suppress the system a bit until you can get a good doctor on your team. I'm thinking some almonds, cabbage, etc. for now. Just to help slow your system for relief. I am not experienced with smoking so I am not in tune to how the body reacts to it so I imagine it could be raising your heart rate?

I heard somewhere there was a new way to help stop smoking on the net - an e cigarette? Have you heard of it? Not sure if it is effective or not but thought I'd mention it. Smiley

Hope you find some help soon. With all those tests behind you, it would seem someone's got to help you make a road map for healing!

Take care!

Mo Smiley
grnmtnmama

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 07:51:10 AM »

Hi Laura~

Just thought I'd chime in here, for what its worth.

You might want to investigate further the theory of leaky gut. If you do have it and have food proteins passing thru your intestinal lining that your body is attacking, some may resemble thyroid cells and your body could be attacking them, too. The damage would cause massive thryoid hormone dumps which could explain your "hyper" type symptoms, even though you are typically "hypo" from the damaged gland not working optimally.

I know that is not the best explanation of that theory. There is much better on the web, but I just thought I'd mention it. The allergy culprit I found in testing was eggs (whites & yolks). I've heard great things about the GAPS diet to heal the gut. I did the Master Cleanse and seemed to have some healing. The E95 Food Allergy test from Meridian Valley is a good test.

Good luck and strength to you in your healing (and quitting cigs).

~Janet~
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »

Hi Janet,

So happy to see you here! You are always so good as describing things! You are always on top of the latest too! Thank you!

I agree with your hunch on the cross-reactive foods and leaky gut.

How are you doing?

I am feeling much better about my journey lately as I have found a great doctor that is partnering with me!

Take care and come back often.

Mo Smiley
Pages: [1]
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  New here and hoping for help/advice/info « previous next »
    Jump to: