Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:27:50 PM
586 Posts in 114 Topics by 20184 Members
Latest Member: amannafrellax
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Whaddaya know? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Whaddaya know?  (Read 6324 times)
deb

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »

We went traveling over the holidays for 3 days and I completely forgot to take my Synthroid - and I feel fine. In fact, since I've continued to remain off it, a longstanding migraine has faded away almost completely and I've lost a couple of pounds. (That could possibly also be attributed to no more holiday eating, to be fair.  Roll Eyes) Also, I've been able to feel pressure from my thyroid on my windpipe the past couple of weeks, which bugs me as it feels like I'm wearing a snug turtleneck - only I avoid turtlenecks. Now I don't feel that sensation at all.

By now it's been nearly a week off the meds and I feel fine - I feel BETTER. I'm on my third headache-free (for all intents and purposes) day and getting so much done around the house it's uncanny.

I can see why the Synthroid might not HELP, but I feel BETTER off the stuff! I may re-evaluate if I start feeling awful again. PMS is approaching, which is usually when new migraines start up, so time will tell, but for now I frankly feel pretty darned good. I don't feel.....sick. Smiley

I just had to share that.....
deb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:34:51 PM »

Annnnd I'm down another pound or two. Hmmm.......
deb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:58:19 PM »

Tiny bit of nagging trying-to-start migraines, but not much. Been off Diet Coke for a week now, maybe more. Cut way back on the beer, had a bit more than usual yesterday and felt a bit icky, but also PMSing so can't tell what's what. My weight went from 146 to 143 and has stayed there. Oh, and I'm wearing a turtleneck for the first time in I don't know how long! I can feel the thyroid a bit on my windpipe, but again, with the hormones all over the place that's not a big surprise.

Debating coming clean with my endo and asking to try the T3/T4 combo since the T4 alone apparently wasn't doing diddly. Tongue
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »

Congrats Deb!

Sounds like you stumbled onto something! Have you ever been on Naturethroid? I do so much better on it.

But the BIG news this year is the gluten angle. I didn't realize how easy it was to be cross contaminated. Here's a good video on Celiac and Hashimotos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxtdVIrPoM&feature=related

It seems like the two tend to go hand in hand - if not full blown Celiac, at least gluten sensitivity.

Hope you get to feeling well.

Mo Smiley
deb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »

I did 'fess up to my endo and she asked me to get my blood drawn. T4 and T3 were in the normal range despite my TSH being like 9!  Shocked I asked about a T3/T4  med and got this in (partial)  response:

"T4 (levothroid) has a very different half life and pharmacodynamic that T3. Taking the pill every day is not like taking a big bolus. It provides a constant daily dose for your blood levels to be maintained. It has such a long half life that sometimes in demented or combative patients, we give them their weeks dose at one time.

I do not recommend T3 as it will likely trigger migraines, taking it in a bolus dose is not physiologic."

So how do people take T3 then? Armour is already T3 and T4 together, yes? I'm so confused.....

She wants me to go to half my regular Synthroid dose, so take 75 instead of 150, and get re-tested in 8 weeks. *sigh*
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »

Hi Deb,

Hmmmm.... sounds like you would do better with a doctor that wants to work with you. Have you considered contacting the doctor I go to and do an over the phone consult?

In the meantime, I am not understanding why she would want to cut back your meds if you are up to a 9 TSH.

Most traditional doctors do not like to work (or are not allowed to prescribe) natural supplementations for thyroid. Their excuse is almost always that these supps aren't consistent enough for them to depend on. In the meantime, it's the Synthroid that has had the most inconsistency in all the years I have been on meds!

Taking T3 by itself is different than taking it as a component of the natural thyroid supplement which has more than just T3 and T4 in it. They are not even sure of all the components that make up a natural dessicated thyroid glandular. So the T3 does not work independently than the other components and has never messed me up (that I know of). I have more energy taking Naturethroid than I EVER had on Synthroid and now I've been on both of them about the same amount of years. (around 8-9 years each)

If you really want to take this a different route, consider having a long distance consult with my doctor and see if you want to move in a different direction. I found I could not hold on to the traditional medicine road while trying to go natural. It just doesn't work for anyone - including the doctors trying to work against each other! It's just not a compatible endeavor. See my home page blog post for a link to my current doctor.

Using diet to help is a good way to go. I am not sure why she would cut back on your meds if your TSH is up and your other levels are in "normal range". It seems this would make your TSH go up, not down. Is it because of your migraines? If so, I bet diet is more to do with those than the meds but then again, Synthroid is not my favorite thyroid supplement, so it might just be a culprit but the answer, from my vantage point, would be exactly what you are asking to do.... take a different med! I always say, it's YOUR body. You should have some freedom to try a different med if you know it is likely the culprit!

Hope you can find a road that works for you.

Let us know how it turns out!

Mo Smiley
deb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:34:48 AM »

It's not so much that she wants to reduce my meds. I've been off them for three weeks now, and she'd like me to start up again only at a reduced level. I guess to see if it was a dosage issue causing the other symptoms that have gone away now I'm off the meds.

Wandering around the STTM website last night I learned more about T3. It apparently does spike about 2 hours after you take it, unlike the T4 which stays more steady, but it sounds like some people just divide the dose into 2 or 3 doses throughout the day when taking a combo med.

Now I'm curious to see, if the T4 stays in the system long enough to even be given weekly, how long it DOES stay in my system. She's concerned that if I stay off the meds altogether that my overty hypothyroid symptoms will return, but I'd like to give it a try. That said, I have been requiring more sleep the last few days, so perhaps I'm at that place now.

I would dearly love to do a consultation with your doctor, but I haven't been regularly employed for almost 9 years now; went on maternity leave, didn't go back then, and my teaching certification lapsed and in this economy there isn't a crying need for music teachers, especially those still trying to get their certification reinstated still. Sad All the extra money right now is going to debt reduction and to services for my older DD, who is special needs but not yet formally diagnosed (she was misdiagnosed with ADD, actually Roll Eyes) so our HMO is already giving us the runaround till they make the diagnosis themselves.... long story, but we're kinda stuck here financially with no $$ to spare for a consult ATM. If it turns out we don't need to pay for the kid's autism assessment all on our own, that'd leave us with a bit of spare change, but it may be a few more months till we wend our way thru that maze.
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »

Hi Deb,

Perhaps having the whole family going gluten free would not only help you figure out how it will help you but it has been a known help to those with Autism and ADD!

Sometimes we just need to go with our "gut" instinct! Pun intended! Smiley

Take care!

Mo Smiley
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »

You know Deb.. there IS one thing I did when taking my Naturthroid and still do. I do NOT exercise AFTER I take it. I only exercise before as I notice a rise in heart rate that is not comfortable if I take it before exercise. But that is the only thing I have had to adjust.

Just thought I'd add that since I just remembered it.

Mo Smiley
deb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 05:05:05 AM »

Back from the weekend today so I'm hoping she'll read my questions and respond to them. I don't want to take the money we're saving for when my kid needs the evaluation the HMO is still waffling on and use it for another doctor - there's not even money for the one, let alone the two of us!
Pages: [1]
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Whaddaya know? « previous next »
    Jump to: