Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:27:55 PM
586 Posts in 114 Topics by 20184 Members
Latest Member: amannafrellax
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Intestinal Issues and Hashimoto's « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Intestinal Issues and Hashimoto's  (Read 14422 times)
laurenb

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:00:05 AM »

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a couple years ago by my Naturopath and I've been seeing her for about three. All of my other symptoms (depression, low energy, headaches) are under control now mostly because of supplements but I still suffer from painful intestinal cramping and bloating. I'm lactose intolerant but I control that by rarely eating dairy and taking Lactaid when I do. Basically what's happening is that my bowels don't move at all unless I take magnesium pills (what's found in Milk of Magnesia). Recently, I've been taking fiber too but it isn't helping as much as the magnesium. I'm wondering if a lot of other people are suffering from this and if anybody has a better way to control it. Oftentimes what I'm doing is not enough and I still have pain and a lot of the time you can hear my stomach gurgling as it's trying to move everything through. Thanks for the help!

-Lauren
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:21:47 AM by laurenb » Logged
deb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:07:11 AM »

We have found that we're milk PROTEIN intolerant, so taking Lactaid makes very little difference. That only helps the body digest the milk SUGAR. We can handle yogurt OK, since the culturing seems to alter the protein enough for us to digest it, and I make my own to keep the cost down, but plain old straight-up cows' milk, ice cream,  and many cheeses are problematic.

Also, now that I'm learning that Hashimoto's can also lead to celiac, I'm cutting way back on my gluten intake. I'm not much of a bread-eater at the best of time, but I'm making a conscious effort to replace gluten-y carbs with no-gluten ones. Rice, potatoes and other starchy veg (mostly root vegetables) in reasonable quantities. Balanced diet, all the food groups but less grain than the USDA recommends (I'm not a fan of the food Pyramid), and good fats like coconut oil, fish oil, flaxseed, olive oil (flaxseed and olive not good for high-heat cooking but coconut oil is!).

Probiotics help with digestion as well.
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »

Hi Lauren,

Deb is right on track.

However, I would add that it might be the best move of your life to make SURE you are testing for gluten sensitivity/Celiac Disease. The link is VERY strong to any autoimmune disease and is worth checking out. If your gut is damaged by gluten, it will be invaluable to know this and begin a healing regimen to heal and rebuild the gut. This, in itself, could offer you the best long term relief possible.

I hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQvPkhFznuA&feature=related

Mo Smiley
laurenb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »

I know it's been a while but I thought I should post on here that I found out what was causing my intestinal problems, I'm intolerant to soy. I basically systematically cut things that I thought may be causing problems out of my diet and when I cut soy out, my digestive tract has been working a lot better. In case there's someone that's suffering from what I experienced, I thought I should let them know. Thank you everyone for your help by the way! =)
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:24:44 PM »

That's GREAT Lauren!

I am finding that although gluten is the most common sensitivity associated with Hashimoto's, soy is really close behind. In fact, other sensitivities are essential to figure out I think to feel better.

So glad you stuck with it and found the culprit!

Thank you for sharing!

Mo Smiley
laurenb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:05:17 PM »

Update: It also helped a lot to stop drinking coffee every morning. I don't know why, it just helped regulate my digestive tract.
deb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 03:38:25 AM »

Turns out coffee is an appetite suppressant. I also find that too much was giving me weird BP spikes and migraines, so I'm also cutting back with the aim of cutting out entirely.
Pages: [1]
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Intestinal Issues and Hashimoto's « previous next »
    Jump to: