Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:18:08 PM
586 Posts in 114 Topics by 20184 Members
Latest Member: amannafrellax
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  For the new members - Please introduce yourselves so we can get to know you. :) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Author Topic: For the new members - Please introduce yourselves so we can get to know you. :)  (Read 63168 times)
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:50:01 AM »

This thread will be for the new members, the ones who have recently registered. Please tell us:

1. How long have you had Hashimotos?

2. What are you doing for treatment?

3. Are you satisfied with the progress or do you feel you need to find a better combination of treatment?

4. Have you tried any successful diets (whether for losing weight or controlling symptoms)

5. Tell us anything else about yourself - age, location, etc. that you would like to share.

Thank you for registering. We are looking forward to your input and hope we can support you.

Mo Smiley

P.S. Please note that this is not a forum dedicated to the "technical" side of this disease. It is focused on natural healing and emotional support. It is likely we will discuss test results at times but our focus is mostly how to move towards healing and reverse the damaging course of this disease. Together we will move towards this goal! Smiley
sanj

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:24:23 AM »

10/4/07 Hello, my name is Sandra and I was just diagnosed, two days ago, with Thyroiditis by my gynocolgist.  I made an appointment with and endocrinologist, but they are so booked up she can't see me until December. I don't know if I have Hashi yet.  I was driven to doctor after doctor because of dibilitating symptoms, but all the docs said, just as in everyone else's stories, that everything tests normal.  It was extremely frustrating.  I ended up at the gyno thinking it was perimenopause.

After reading as much as I could find on all thyroid aliments, I suspect I've had it most of my life.  I thought the tiredness and difficulty getting out of bed was something everyone had.  My parents convinced me that I was just lazy. I tended to believe them, but deep down I just couldn't understand why it was sooo, sooo hard for me to get up in the morning.  My temperature has always been below normal.  Doctors said different people have different normal temps and that was mine.  Now reading up on hypothyroidism, it's a common symptom of that condition.  That's probably why I'm always cold.  There's a long list of other symptoms but I just don't feel like typing that much.

About age 40 I was having terrible digestive problems.  A doctor suggessted I had irritable bowel.  Mostly constipation, but also diaherra...never normal.  But I found a solution to that!!!  I went to a yoga retreat for 4 days where I was forced to endure a vegetarian diet, and much to my surprise I was completely regular those 4 days.  I decided to try a veg diet for a month to see if there was a correlation.  I am happy to say I stayed on that diet for about 6 years now and have been regular ever since.  I don't know if the constipation was the thyroid problem or not, but apparently constipation is one symptom. 

I'm still in the process of trying to figure out what is going on with me.  There seems to be sooo many symptoms associated with this disease.  Is there any one symptom that defines Hashimotos?

Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:36:52 PM »

Hello Sanj and welcome to our support group! First of all I would like to assure you that there are many who can identify with your struggles here.

I'll see if I can take this reply "step-by-step" in order to bite off a bit at a time.

1. You didn't mention if you were given any medications. If so, what were you prescribed. I encourage you to check out the home page of my website (which you can find a link to above this forum) where you will find different treatments available. It would be my humble opinion that if you are not on meds yet, it would be wise to wait to find the right path for you through all your options. I had to get to a natural doctor to get to the natural treatment that eventually made me feel like a human again. You can see my story on my website too. It may take a few days (or more) to settle into what is right for you but you sound determined to do things naturally by your post, but I might be wrong. If I am right, be sure to post more on this forum for different ways others have gone about that journey. It is always helpful to hear from those who have "gone before us".

2. You said you were diagnosed with Thyroiditis but not sure if you haveHashimotos. As far as I know these are two in the same. Dr. Hashimotois the discoverer of Thyroiditis thereby calling is Hashimoto'sDisease. (you can see the educational video of this on the main page of my website.) So, I am not sure why they are separating the two names.Your symptoms are typical for Hashimoto's but most of us are "hit" in different "weak" areas of our bodies. For example, I have head inflammation (or fullness) and many food allergies. Others have very bad aching bones and feet. There are a variety of symptoms to this disease. I find that the right treatment for you will relieve many of the symptoms you are dealing with. Your body temperature story is so familiar. I was told for years "some people just have sub-normal temperatures". UGH! What a joke! If that were true, why did I have normal temps growing up? Anyway, I think you will hear a lot of stories from doctors about "normal" this and normal that. Follow your gut feeling on these symptoms. Your body knows there is something wrong.

3. Consider more than one opinion. I highly recommend you get a natural doctor's opinion before moving full force into the traditional treatment. It is a long road back if you choose to go down that road. Be sure you feel it's best to do so. I took Synthroid for 10 years and got worse every day, it seemed. Then I finally found a natural doctor that changed my meds to natural ones and within a few weeks I felt better than I had for years and NO MORE EMERGENCY ROOM trips! It's wonderful to see the progress. I also had digestive problems but diet has pretty much controlled it now since I've gone the natural route. Congrats on the vegetarian diet and sticking with it. I'm glad you have had success with a natural remedy.

4. Do you take any medications for other ailments? Just wondering.

We look forward to hearing more and hope this has been a bit helpful. Maybe while you are waiting for your Dec appointment, you will have a chance to check some of the above ideas out. A consultation with a natural doctor should take more than $100 and it will be invaluable to the decisions you will be making. Always remember it is your body and there are many ways to approach this disease besides the tradition way.

I hope others will post because their input will be helpful in giving you a well-rounded view of this disease.

Take care and keep up the hope. You WILL feel better!
4umfun

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 06:26:26 PM »

Hi all,
I found out I have Hashi/Hypo in February.  My 9yo son's friend noticed a large lump in my neck.  I visited my GP the next day and we finally put it together.  At this point I had been to the Dr. several times with all the typical complaints body aches, extreme fatigue, horrific PMS and continual sore throats.  I don't remember all my results, but my TSH count was 117.  I have since been to an Endo who perscribed Levoxyl.  My dosage has been increased with every 3 month visit and my TSH has gotten down to 8.  I am still feeling terrible.
I am trying to get a Gluten Free diet going.  I have not explored alternative methods for healing yet, but am starting to look around.
I look forward to hearing what other Hashi patients are doing to promote healthy living.
jerzger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:30:38 PM »

Hi 4umfun,

A TSH of 8 is still too high.  That still needs to come down quite a bit.  Were you checked for thryoid antibodies?

As far as healthy living goes, start with the basics. If you're not already doing so, give your body plenty of fruits, vegetables, healthy fats, water, rest, and gentle exercise.  If you're already doing that, keep it up.

It sounds like your endo is on the right path, but that you're not there yet. In my opinion getting your TSH down is the first priority. Once that happens you can work toward optimizing your levels with how you feel. 

Please keep us posted on your progress.   

Best wishes,
Gerri
daynamy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 11:24:25 AM »

Hi,

My name is Dayna, and I am a 33-year-old woman in Annapolis, MD.  I wasdiagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis about three years ago.  A couplemonths after the birth of my first daughter, I had just about recoveredfrom her birth.  I was feeling better (not having waves of baby blues),had lost my baby weight, and had more energy.  Then, about two monthslater, I started having symptoms that my primary kept dismissing as temporary, typicalpost-partum: unexplained weight gain, loss of energy, brain fog,waves of depression, and even fainting spells.  And this even though my primaryknew that I have a family history of Hashimoto's (my mother andmaternal grandmother both have it).  Six months later, I finally wastested and received the diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroditis.  I am onSynthroid now, but I really do not feel anywhere near as well as I didbefore I got sick, so I am hoping to learn more from people in thisforum about natural therapies and diets that might help.  I am a vegetarian, and I have heard from others that soy is problematic with Hashimoto's, so I am curious about that.  I don't rely heavily on soy products, but I probably eat them more than non-vegetarians.

Thanks for hosting this forum!

Dayna
jerzger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 12:04:27 PM »

Hi Dayna!

Synthroid works for some, but not for others. I happen to be one it didn't work for. How long have you been taking the Synthroid, how often do you have bloodwork, which tests are done, and what do your results look like? Does your doctor only check TSH? Have you cut back on soy and noticed a difference? You don't necessarily need soy to remain a vegetarian. There are so many variables with Hashi's. The answers to the above though are a good place to begin determining if you are on the road to wellness.  It's a long road, it's not a short fit. Your body has a lot of healing to do.

Best,
Gerri
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:43:21 AM »

Hi Dayna,

Nice to have you here. Now that we know you a bit, consider using a "new topic" for any further discussion so your questions or comments are easily replied to. One comment I do have is that it is not uncommon for doctors to shy away from antibody tests. Sometimes I think it's just because they don't know what to do about the results! My doctor lets me take my antibody test quite regularly for my own monitoring. To me, Hashimoto's is a mystery that needs to be solved and I view it that way. I feel I'm getting much closer to answers these days thank to my incredibly analytical mind (I'm not suggesting it's a smart one, just curious!). I am hoping to see changes in my antibody levels before the spring and if this pans out, I will definitely have worthy "news" in the Hashimoto's arena! If you are still tired, I really recommend finding a natural doctor for consultation - one that is familiar with thyroid problems and has the ability to prescribe Armour or Naturethroid. You may need the T3 in these preparations to help give you the energy your body needs. I will be away on and off this week but others here will be available to converse with you on issues you might have come up.

Hope you find some relief soon!

Mo
dhuber

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 02:32:15 PM »

My name is Danielle, I'm 33 and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 2 weeks ago.  Here is my story:

I was diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder in 2003 after years of a plain old 'depression' diagnosis.  My psychiatrist checked my thyroid at the time and it checked normal but he put me on Cytomel in around 2005 anyway because he found that 'pushing' the thyroid a little bit really seems to alleviate depression.  He was right...it did!

Last year (maybe even longer) I started to notice my hair falling out a lot more in the shower.  I brushed it off thinking maybe I was just imagining it.  I saw my dermatologist who brushed it off and said I was probably just shedding a bit more than usual.  So I went on. 

By this summer I was noticing how much more thin my hair was, how much more easily I could see my scalp.  My hair is my crowning glory (curly and red and gorgeous) and I really started to panic.  I did more reading and decided it HAD to be thyroid.  I called my psychiatrist and he told me he'd take me off Cytomel if I wanted (I thought maybe we were pushing it too high) but that he didn't think that was the cause of my hair loss.

I went to a GP and she did a lot of blood work.  The results came back that my thyroid was a bit high, so she agreed it might be causing my hair loss and took me off the Cytomel.

I went back 2 month later for a recheck and my thyroid levels tested disturbingly low compared to what they had been.  Very very very low.  She put me on Armour Thyroid, drew more blood and I have an appointment for a follow-up blood draw this week.

2 weeks ago, however, I opened what I thought was a bill.  Instead it was a piece of paper that said that my last blood tests indicate that I have Hashimoto's Thyroid.  And that's ALL it said!  Oh yeah, it said 'Merry Christmas!'.   

Since then I've been doing internet research and must admit that I'm freaked out.  I know it's not a death sentence or anything, but still....my body is killing another part of my body that I need???

I'm newly divorced (he's been gone for 2 months) after 11 years of marriage, my hair is falling out like gangbusters, I have a lot of trouble losing weight and now I hear that this can effect fertility--I have not yet had a child but would very much like to.  So, yes, I'm kind of freaking out.

I wonder why my thyroid tested normal but then totally pooped out when I went off the Cytomel.  Is is possible that we pushed my thyroid so much that it stopped working on it's own?  Is it just a coincidence and I developed this over the last couple of years while I was already being treated?  It's so confusing. 

For now, all I've done is make sure I take my multivitamin, started selenium and started evening primrose oil which I hear can help with the hair loss? 

Will the hair loss stop?  Will it grow back?  I feel like I'm losing my good looks at the absolute worst time and I guess I'm scared. 

That's my story.  I have a call out to my GP right now.  They didn't return my call from 2 weeks ago and I can wait no longer.  I want my follow up bloodtest NOW and I also think I want my adrenals checked.   

I look forward to reading more and hearing from others.  I hope I can take control of this thing and get well again.  Admittedly, I'm bummed I have it. 
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 04:27:22 PM »

Hello Danielle,

I'm going to move your question in the "new topic" area so you might want to head over there so you can be notified of replies. I believe all you need to do is to post a quick something in the thread and select to be notified of replies and that should do it.

I'll reply to your message there too!

See you there!

Mo Smiley
Danielle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 09:12:34 AM »

My name is Danielle and I am 24 years old.

1. How long have you had Hashimotos?  2 and 1/2 years

2. What are you doing for treatment? Synthroid...that's about it.  I am very interested in alternative treatments so feel free to share! Smiley

3. Are you satisfied with the progress or do you feel you need to find a better combination of treatment? interested in further tx

4. Have you tried any successful diets (whether for losing weight or controlling symptoms) no

5. Tell us anything else about yourself - age, location, etc. that you would like to share. I was recently treated for thyroid cancer...had 2 surgeries...lost thyroid, thymus, 2 parathyroids and many lymph nodes in my neck.
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »

Hello Danielle,

I'm very sorry to hear of your thyroid problems. At 24 years old too! If I understand correctly, you have no thyroid (plus other surrounding functions) and are on Synthroid? When were you diagnosed with thyroid cancer? What were the symptoms that brought you into the doctor's office?

I'm afraid many of us will not be familiar with how to proceed without a thyroid and related glands but we certainly would like to support you.

Although I can't imagine being in your place, I would start by having peace with where you are at the moment (no thyroid and other surrounding tissues, glands) and work from that point. Since I don't know how your body is currently functioning, perhaps it would help to know how you are feeling and what is a priority to you to improve. I imagine you will need supplements to help your body achieve the wellness you desire since it will not likely function itself without help (in the thyroid area). I have hope that the body can adjust and serve you well.

I strongly recommend you find a natural doctor (a good one) to help you begin some healing with the situation at hand. It may be difficult to find a good one but believe me, there is no greater reward than to find a caring, natural doctor to help you rebuild your health.

Your situation is especially difficult since we can't attempt to jumpstart a gland that isn't there, so the approach will need to be taylored specifically to your needs. This almost demands a professional consultant and I am not fond of the traditional medical practice so I am not recommending that avenue.

Please use us for support but it would be very wise to get some basic help from a professional and then we can begin to support you with diet choices and other natural ideas.

Keep in mind that although we are here for support, we are not professionals and will not be able to give you advice about how to proceed in this situation. If you still had your thyroid and cancer was not an issue, I think we would be able to offer more knowledge. I'm sorry I can't help you more. I wish I could.

Please check out my main page for a doctor in your area. You may benefit greatly by finding a doctor that prescribes Armour or Naturethroid since you are definately missing the T3, T2 and other possible ingredients to a healthy thyroid system. You are only getting T4 with Synthroid.

Take care and please let us know when you have found some good help.

Mo Smiley
minnie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 10:16:56 PM »

Hi Danielle,
I was also diagnosed a few months ago and have now found a dr. who practices both natural and western medicine. He is an ob/gyn who specializes in treating ALL women w/ natural hormones for conditions ranging from depression, infertility and thyroid. He is on the pricey side and practices out of his office in Beverly Hills. If you are interested he has a website you can check out. His name is Dr. Uzzi Reiss. I know how it feels when you are newly diagnosed and feel lost. Don't worry, this is a very treatable condition and there is a lot you can do. You will be OK and I hope I can help.
grnmtnmama

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 09:12:11 AM »

Hello~

My first intro was lost in the Feb.08 glich. Since then a few things have changed (and I can't remember what I wrote last month anyway ) so this will be different.

I was first Dx with Hashi's in May '06, 9 mos after the birth of my second child. Hypo symptoms started about 3 mos after his birth and got worse until I finally went to my family doc with a list of hypo symptoms from internet and most of them checked as being ones I was having. A comprehensive thyroid assessment (from GDX/Genova) confirmed this with high Thyroglobulin antibodies and slightly higher than the new normal range TSH.

Since then I was on a short-term small dose of T3 (cytomel) and have done a lot of alternative therapies to get myself better. By spring '07 I was feeling great physically and had lost a lot of weight, however, the previous year had been extremly stressful and my best friend ended up dying of cancer in June '07. I may have been running on pure adrenaline through this time. In Aug. '07 through now, I have completely crashed. Grief hit me like a Mac truck and I have been getting progressively worse.

At present, I am partnering with an ND (1st appt was last week) and I just started with 60mg/day natural thyroid, ashwaganda powder for adrenal support, Fibroplex for muscle pain, castor oil/heat on abdomen (to heal gut), and B complex. These are in addition to my usual regimen of Cod Liver Oil, probiotics, prenatal (still lactating), yoga, and my herbal teas (soon to add an adrenal-support root tea of ashwaganda, siberian ginseng, and licorice once I find a source).

My recent comprehensive thyroid assessment showed even higher TSH and higher Tg antibodies. I am awaiting results on a 24 hr adrenal saliva test (canary club/Diagnostechs) and an ELIZA allergy blood test.

In addition, I hope to start psychotherapy in the summer. I am trying to find a therapist that can do energy work, as well as talk therapy. I have had a lot of trauma in the last few years as well as in my youth. I doubt I can heal until I work through a lot of this (this was highly recommended by my ND, as well).

So, that's my story in a nutshell. Thanks for reading. I really hope I can heal from this and not have to feel like I am waging battle with my body the rest of my life. I hope we can all learn a lot from each other and support each other through this site.  

Peace,
~Janet~
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:22:43 AM by grnmtnmama » Logged
Heather.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 09:23:58 AM »

Hello, my name is Heather and I just joined this forum today.  I'm going to try my best to answer all sections for you.  I'm from Virginia and I'm 20.  I've had hypothyroidism since I was 16, however I was only diagnosed with Hashimoto's about a month ago, so I'm not completely familiar with the disease just yet.   I was seeing a regular family physician, who had me on Synthroid but that just didn't seem to be helping.  I am extremely tired all the time.  I can go to bed at 9:00 and sleep for ten hours, but I'm always exhausted. 

Finally, he did yet another blood test and my thyroid antibody count was around 2,800, I believe.  When I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I decided to make an appointment with an endocrinologist.  About a week ago, I went to see him and he took me off the Synthroid and put me on another medicine called Armour Thyroid, which he says is more natural.  So I'm waiting to see how that works for me.  I've been looking on the Internet for other ways to help the symptoms I'm having (diet, natural remedies, etc) so if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.  Also, I'm wondering if there is anyone else is on the same medication I'm on.  I haven't been able to find out much about it, so any information would be most appreciated!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  For the new members - Please introduce yourselves so we can get to know you. :) « previous next »
    Jump to: