Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:27:03 PM
586 Posts in 114 Topics by 20184 Members
Latest Member: amannafrellax
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Introduction thread - if you're new, returning, or somewhere in between.... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Introduction thread - if you're new, returning, or somewhere in between....  (Read 6328 times)
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2007, 09:08:52 AM »

First of all, I welcome you to our new board. I'm going to assume those here are familiar with me and the old board. If not, please introduce yourself and we can get to know each other. I will try to update my journey on the threads below too. The sticky messages on the top of my board will tell you how to personalize your font and use the smileys. It's a little tricky because I didn't want you to have to use html code so my son put in an editor that has a few "quirks" but makes it easier all around to post. The main thing is to first type your message fully (if you will use any emotions especially - the little happy face, etc.) and THEN highlight your text while choosing your font, color, and size. As you can see, it will work similiar to any of the popular text editors (like Word) so it should be pretty simple to use. One thing to think about... links are configured to show up as dark purple so purple isn't the best color to use when posting links. Just a tip.

So, please update us on yourself, your current thyroid condition, challenges, successes, etc. and we'll try to get re-acquainted. It is so nice to see you here and I'm looking forward to exchanging information, getting advice and just "venting" at times!   I hope everyone will enjoy their time here. And, if you have any recommendations for my new website... suggested articles, links, or a new page, please let me know. I will be happy to consider them! I have some ideas for the future - but for now, I guess we should just "settle in".   Mo
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:40:16 PM by Mo » Logged
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 01:36:48 PM »

I'll start...    

I can't remember where I left off with most of you so I will just give you my present situation.

Last Fall, my mother was told she needed open heart surgery. This, of course, was stress enough but the fact was that I needed to help her recuperate at home. The surgery was set for February and I ended up traveling to my home town (4 1/2 hours away) and stayed for 6 weeks. This was quite difficult for me especially since I was away from my husband and son (my daughter was with me and helped with food prep and such) so at least I had help. However, as always, there are difficult "moments" during and after such a major surgery and I began to eat the wrong foods while my stress level rose. It seems that no matter how much I coach myself, I still see a big change in my emotions and eating habits during severe stress.

I thought I was doing great but I am convinced after seeing this pattern so many times now with this disease, that there seems to be a delay in the manifestation of the spiked antibodies. I posted a link on our board that talks about the 120 day cycle of antibodies. The surgery was the beginning of February and I began to have symptoms in late March, spiking in April and slowly getting better by the end of April and now into May I feel much better. I don't know if anybody else has seen a pattern like this, but it would be interesting to hear if you have.

Also, another couple things I am doing. I want to begin an experimental Meditteranian diet focus for a while. I did the gluten free/sugar free diet last year with terrible results. In other words, I went gluten free and sugar free for 6 months due to research that indicated a link between high antibodies and celiac disease and/or gluten intolerance. I also knew sugar was terrible for me. I also cut caffeine completely out. Soooooo, I really expected incredibly positive results after 6months. But noooooooo! My antibodies were almost twice as high as they were 6 months prior! I was over 3,000! Needless to say, I was very disappointed. Part of me feels I do better on whole grains. I just "feel" better. I've always felt they were part of my problem but I feel I want to explore what would happen if I ate mostly sugar/caffeine free and ate more of a "whole foods" diet approach. If anyone has ever read "Nourishing Traditions", they know what I'm talking about. I've inserted a link if you are interested in this book. I highly recommend it. It talks about the traditional ways we used to prepare our foods - especially with grains. They were always soaked before cooking. So, I am hoping to experiment with that concept for a while this summer and include the bulk of my meals as raw and rich with fruits and vegetables as possible. This is a good time of the year for it too! I will also concentrate on organic whenever possible. I've had this book for two years and it is my "bible" for whole foods. I LOVE it. It talks about the history of each type of food and why it's good or not good for you. Anyway, I will let you know how it goes.

I go in to have my TSH/antibody test in June and will see what has happened. It might be that it won't be that bad since my "cycle" of antibodies are dropping from the high stress, bad eating of February. It will be an interesting test. I have very bad symptoms of brain inflammation (still I KNOW it is linked to my Hashimoto's disease due to the confirmation of test results over time) and it goes away when my antibodies are down for the most part (and my TSH is closer to 1).However, I believe I still have some questions - like could it be also related to food allergies or a build up of toxins in my body after eating the wrong foods, etc. This is certainly a journey! I have been worse in the spring 3 years in a row but the last 3 years I have been exposed to high stress in the winter due to health problems with my mom- first, broken hip surgery, then breast cancer, and now open heart surgery! I must conquer my emotions when stress like this happens! It's one thing to know it and another to actually make it through it like we imagine!

Well, I am looking forward to YOUR story so we can begin to search answers together again.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Mo

Edith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:07:47 PM »

The last update I gave was the alkalizing drink which worked great for me.  I had a ton
of energy and my temp was almost 98.6.  I was also doing the baths which pulled alot of acids from
my fat.  This allowed me to be off of my meds with no problem.

I was having some difficulty in my life so I backed off and then completely quit.  About 3 months later I started feeling like I was getting very ill with something so I started back on my thyroid med and am
feeling ok now.

However, this week  I have started back on this drink along with the kelp that is a part of the protocol. 

I still believe detoxong and nutrition is the wasy to achive health.  And so my journey continues.

Edith
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:22:51 PM »

Hi Edith,

So glad to hear from you. When you say "alkalizing drink", do you mean a drink on top of a good diet? Or a drink to detox while fasting? That is the problem with our disease; our life events can send us backwards. I did similar stuff last year, minimized my meds and then my numbers went out of control because I thought I could handle the stress and didn't increase my meds. It's the roller coaster ride that gets frustrating. You think you got things "under control" and something happens (usually a big stress maker) and there is a swing in the other direction. It is definitely a whole body approach we need... not just diet, exercise or stress reduction techniques. We need the whole package, don't we? I am so happy to have you and others on this board who will not give up and keep looking for answers. Thanks for posting Edith. Feel free to go to the other topics and give us some more of your wisdom. I'm so glad to re-connect! Smiley Mo
Wendy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 04:35:23 PM »

Hi Mo,

Will be you selling any natural products that have been helpful for you?

Thanks,

Wendy
Edith

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »

Hey Mo & all,

Yes I'm still doing the alkalizing drink and baths along with what I hope for ...a better diet.....you know
how we digress on that issue.

Anyway, I recently joined a Psoriasis forum and the recommended diet is fresh fruits and veggies,and meat additive free.  Remember 2 or 3 yrs ago when I had that horrible flare up with my P and couldn't walk
and was in such pain?  Then I met a woman on a P forum who had healed hers on diet alone.
I followed her direction and did great.

Well I've been reading up this this new forum and they say all people with P are gluten sensitive
so guess that's why the fresh things are recommended.
I know you have dealth with this issue in the past.  I don't know if I can get over that hurdle!!!!

Oh well, onward and forward,
Edith

Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 01:23:42 PM »

Hi Edith,
I'm so glad to hear from you. I hope the posting was simple enough for you.
Yes, I did the 6 month gluten free but I'm afraid I didn't do some other things during the gluten free stage. Although I was also sugar free, caffeine free and additive free (meats) and chose my meats carefully, I'm afraid I still allowed myself corn (as a replacement) and it could have been a mistake. Seeing some information regarding some of the problems with corn, I wonder if that, in itself sabotaged my efforts:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/jun/3/corn.htm

That's just one article that describes one aspect of corn problems. I believe I didn't loose weight mainly because I replaced my bread/starch with corn. I would eat corn shell tacos (organic) instead of flour, corn chips, instead of potato, etc. All in all, I believe I was hitting some important issues with gluten, sugar and caffeine but missed the corn issue. I seem to do well on brown rice but start becoming sluggish when adding beans and corn to my diet.

In the end, you're right! How do we get passed this hurdle of enjoying so many common foods with family and friends? That is a question I keep asking myself. I am researching the Metabolic Typing Diet. Have you researched that? The idea is that we all have different needs based on our metablolic type. Perhaps we can start a new thread talking about that? I would like to know what others have tried in that area, if anything.

I'll start a new thread soon on this approach once I have a firm grasp of the idea.

Any comments are extremely welcome but maybe we can start a new topic so we can make the topic available on it's own.

Thanks!
Mo Smiley
marti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 08:48:25 AM »

hey guys so glad we are back together!!!! forgive me ( the puter novis i am) its taking me longer to learn this website!!!i go next month to endo and have all test done! as you may remember im on levexol and have nodules. eating really well (except chocolate sometime) im still dealing with the feet probs and wear birks all the time!!! my other battle is gluacoma in both eyes! i have had surgery in them but the pressure is back up and drs talking more surgery! ill know this friday!!whew i sound like a mess!! he hei do appreciate yall being here!!! later
                         marti
Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 11:37:41 AM »

Hi Marti,

I'm so glad to hear from you! Can I ask you a question? Well, actually it belongs in a new thread. If you don't mind, I would like to do it that way. Just check the new topics. I'll type my question there, okay?

Thanks!
Mo
jerzger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:01:10 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Gerri here. I thought I posted before but can't seem to find it. Kind of rushed for time right now, but wanted to say hi. I'm currently using Armour Thyroid with some added T4 (Unithroid) and feel pretty good.  Due back to see my endo in December. Life has been good, for which I'm extremely thankful for. How did I reach this point?   Lots of hard work, plenty of trial and error, and a healthy lifestyle. I truly believe that a health vegetarian lifestyle (vs. an unhealthy vegetarian lifestyle),  the right amount and type of exercise, adequate hydration,  restorative sleep, stress reduction, and general well being are all key in how well I feel today. 

Wishing everyone wellness with big hugs to all.

Gerri

Mo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 01:03:52 PM »

Hello again Gerri,

You said that so well! A whole body approach is what I also believe is the "key" to feeling well. I see you are on a combination of drugs. Does that tend to change? I was thinking recently and realized I tend to have problems maintaining my summertime dose in the winter. Do you find a certain season to be more needy (medication wise) than others. I tend to see better results in all ways in the summer and fall and then the winter usually causes me to have many symptoms followed by the worst time in the spring. Does anyone else see a cycle like this? It took me a few years to see it so now I have a plan off checking my levels in January so I can keep them up into the spring. I hope to head it off this year. I also tend to eat wrong in the winter (holidays) so I am thinking that it is the diet that is catching up linked with the cold weather.

You have no idea how relieved I am to hear from you all. I have missed our little group. Please feel free to start a new topic. I would love to hear what's on everybody's mind.

Mo Smiley
Pages: [1]
Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis Support Group  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (ATTN: Board closed for posting) PLEASE COME TO OUR NEW FACEBOOK SUPPORT GROUP YOU CAN FIND ON THE FRONT PAGE OF MY BLOG - SEE YOU THERE!)  |  Introduction thread - if you're new, returning, or somewhere in between.... « previous next »
    Jump to: